This project was awarded with the Best Interior Improvement Award, as presented by Engineering News Record (ENR).
Loven Contracting completed a 224,458SF remodel of the Little America Hotel Main Lodge and Guestroom Lodges located in Flagstaff, Arizona. This project transformed the aging 1972 facility, both in design, and operational and systems efficiencies.
The revitalized hotel features a contemporary design with updated finishes, local textures, and natural elements and is now considered one of the most desirable hospitality options in Flagstaff, providing a wide range of accommodations.
Little America Hotel’s ability to maintain the majority of their revenue stream throughout the construction process was the key to the project’s success, and the construction team hit key phase dates for multiple temporary returns to 100% occupancy during the remodel. This was accomplished through strategic phasing of the work into single buildings with targeted completion for holidays and special events. A robust safety plan — enabling all other facilities to remain 100% functional throughout construction — was essential to a high quality experience for hotel guests and staff.
The scope of work included:
- Remodel of the Main Lodge: all ballrooms, meeting rooms, reception lobby, gift shop, restaurant, public restrooms, banquet kitchen, administration offices, and storage areas.
- Construction of an outdoor dining terrace.
- Remodel of 250 guest rooms in four individual lodge buildings.
- Replacement of HVAC equipment and sewer lines in all buildings.
- Enhanced ADA compliance via installation of new elevators in three guestroom lodges, new accessible entrance features, accessibility upgrades to all public restrooms, and the remodel and addition of new accessible guestrooms to current codes.
- Roof replacement and installation of fire sprinkler systems and fire lines in all buildings.
Potential long term savings were achieved via key system upgrades, including a new roof with open cell foam insulation on all renovated facilities, energy efficient LED lighting to meet APS Energy Efficiency Rebate standards, energy efficient HVAC system and controls, and water conserving fixtures.