Loven Contracting’s Historic Preservation Division offers an array of services via a single resource to owners of, or investors in, historic properties.
At Loven Contracting, we understand that the preservation of a historic building is about more than just saving a piece of cultural context – it’s also a contemporary construction project informed by budgets, schedules, existing conditions, and project requirements. Whether we are preserving the oldest historic structures in Grand Canyon National Park or tackling more modest adaptive reuse projects in municipalities across the Southwest, Loven Contracting understands the complexities associated with historic building construction and improvement.
As a full service contractor with an award winning historic preservation team, we bring decades of experience, ranging from navigating state and local preservation requirements to hands-on craftsmanship by 40+ year preservation veterans. We partner with private, non-profit, and governmental organizations in Arizona, New Mexico, Utah, and Nevada to bring your vision to life.
ASSESSMENT & PRECONSTRUCTION SERVICES
- Historic Structures Reports: Historic Structures Reports may be required before construction can begin on a significant structure. Our in-house Historic Preservation Specialist is qualified by the Secretary of the Interior to perform site assessments and draft historic structure reports. These reports detail historic context and how the proposed project may affect existing historic resource.
- Site Assessment: Our Historic Preservation Specialist, in partnership with our skilled craftsmen, will evaluate and determine site conditions for use in preconstruction planning.
- Experience-Based Estimating: Our Preconstruction and Estimating team offers realistic estimates and value engineering options based on extensive experience working with Historical Architects and on historic preservation and adaptive reuse projects.
- Preservation Planning: Our team will partner with you to develop a step-by-step plan that incorporates some or all aspects of the historic preservation process, as desired. This includes sourcing historically appropriate material, site planning, environmental contaminant assessment, and work with the federal, state, and local preservation officers to ensure compliance.
- Preventative Maintenance Planning: Preventative maintenance is the best way to reduce building life cycle costs. We provide case-specific plans that take both current issues and anticipated requirements into account.
- Preservation Law Compliance: Our team is experienced in navigating local, state, and federal laws pertaining to historic preservation, and can supply guidance and documentation in that regard.
- Architectural Surveys: We offer architectural survey services, documenting existing architectural components, as may be required for compliance with preservation guidelines or may be utilized in grant applications.
- Adaptive Reuse Planning: The greenest building is the one that is already built. Loven Contracting will work with property owners to repurpose existing structures to suit current needs.
- Qualified Craftsmen: Our highly skilled craftsmen and journeymen carpenters and our trusted subcontractor resources have decades of practical preservation construction experience. This knowledge includes the use of historically appropriate building materials and construction methods, as well as the incorporation of contemporary systems (MEP, Fire/Life, ADA compliance) that adhere to historic preservation guidelines.
Historic Preservation Experts
Looking for the right leaders for your historic preservation project? Loven Contracting Superintendent and master carpenter Audey Eckel has over 40 years of experience completing projects on some of our nation’s most iconic structures. Audey was the superintendent for both the Desert View Watchtower Preservation and Buckey O’Neill Cabin Preservation, both of which received Governor’s Heritage Preservation Awards for exceptional project results. Brett Woods has over 20 years of historic preservation experience and was the project manager for the award-winning Buckey O’Neill Cabin Preservation project.
We Offer Historic Preservation Services Throughout Arizona
Headquartered in Flagstaff, Loven Contracting has worked across Arizona, including the most remote locations. We have construction projects in each of the following towns/cities and then some!
Flagstaff, Sedona, Cottonwood, Yuma, Kingman, Winslow, Tusayan, Wikieup, Williams, Grand Canyon National Park, Tucson, Tuba City, Glen Canyon National Recreation Area, Salome, Roosevelt, Globe, Rimrock, Prescott, Page, Payson, Petrified Forest National Park, Lake Havasu City, Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument, Lake Powell, Tumacacori, Jerome, Holbrook, Nogales, Florence, Ganado, Clarkdale, Bellemont, Rainbow Bridge National Monument, Coolidge, Camp Verde, Buckeye, Chinle, Cameron, and Ajo.
For information about our work specifically in Flagstaff, Sedona, and Yuma, see below.
We have been providing commercial construction services in the city of Flagstaff since 1985. Some of our most notable projects include expanding the emergency room department at Flagstaff Medical Center, building a pediatric care facility at the NAH Children’s Health Center, constructing the new Flagstaff Family YMCA, plus designing and building the Flagstaff Lofts – residential-commercial complex in downtown’s historic district.
We love Yuma and offer a full array of construction services in the area. We proudly offer preconstruction and estimating, design and build, CMAR, job order contracting, general contracting, and whole lot more. One of our most prominent projects in Yuma is the Sunset Community Health Center, which includes a brand new pharmacy and state-of-the-art dentist office. Visit our Yuma construction manager at risk page to learn more.
As one of the most beautiful destinations in all of Arizona, Sedona holds a soft spot in the hearts of the Loven crew. We provide commercial construction to the town, but we’re known for building fully-equipped medical and healthcare facilities, historic preservation, and sustainable construction. Furthermore, our Building Relationships Service Program guarantees 24-hour, 365 days a year availability during and after the construction of your project.